Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Happy New Year

Based on numerous New Year celebrations in Vietnam, I think it's time to lay down some simple rules for New Year's for people around the world to follow. I don't want to rewrite your culture, I don't want to be a neocolonialist, but I feel these are pretty essential in practice. So here are the...



ESSENTIAL NEW YEAR RULES
1. Your famous new year song shouldn't have the word "die" in it.
Auld Lang Syne is no pick-me-up, but c'mon ABBA. "feeling lost", "feeling blue" "man is a fool", on and on. The Happy New Year chorus is the only cheery part but it's surrounded in bitterness. At least write some new lyrics around it.  I personally would give a limb (seriously...like my right arm right now) for someone to record a new year song I didn't want to strangle to death.


(My personal choice)

2. The Beatles' "Yesterday" shall not be played
New Year's is a time for reflection, a time for looking back. But it's not a time for longing for yesterday and this song should not be played anywhere on December 31st. January 1st maybe, but only if you are hungover.

3. Your New Year's event shouldn't end before midnight
If you have an event billed as a "New Year Gala" then it should welcome in the New Year. You don't need to have a countdown, but it doesn't hurt. But at least play a song (while following rules #1 & #2) at 12:01 and have a cheers or two.

Any new year rules you'd like to add?

2 comments:

  1. I'd like to make an addendum to rule number 3. I think its perfectly ok for new years eve celebrations to end at 6,7,8 or 9 for the under 7ish set.
    For instance P and his BFF rang in the new year with all kinds of confetti poppers and snap its at 6. They were none the wiser of the time :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good point Kaleena, I don't hold children accountable for staying up to 12. Linh was in bed by 7pm and actually Hang was asleep by 10:30. But if you are organizing a New Year party (for adults) and then end it at 8:30...well, it'd be weird anywhere but Vietnam I think?

    ReplyDelete