Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Everyone Can Fly


Just look at that Vietnamese farmer...man is he ready to fly! I looked at this picture for the better part of the afternoon wondering if a.) this is photoshopped b.) this is a model paid to muck it up a bit and shoot this picture, or c.) this is an actual Vietnamese farmer who 1.) was told the news he could get on an airplane for 15,000 VND (as a side note if you pay in US currency you have to pay more, 1 USD = about 16,500 VND right now) or 2.) was paid money to stop his harvesting and jump in the air for multiple takes of this picture. Whatever the situation it is pretty funny. And while I haven't seen anyone quite so "lowly" so to speak on the planes...Jetstar (formerly Pacific) airlines is really pulling out all the stops.

They are definitely finding a nitch in a country where to travel in essence the distance of Southern California to Northern California can take 2 days by train or bus. And their slogan "Everyone Can Fly" tends to hold true, and as McDonald's would probably say "I'm lovin' it". Here's a few of my favorites from recent flights:

- I'm an aisle man, but sometimes I get put on the window on Jetstar, but I have not yet had to sit there...there will always be some Vietnamese person who works up the courage to ask if we can change seats, because if they are flying they have got to make sure they are looking out that window.
- Traveling with a college student who decided on a whim to travel over the weekend there were audible squeals of delight on takeoff...I witnessed the most exciting moment of that guy's life I think.
- After nearly every landing (before disembarking) someone confusedly wants to know how they are going to get their luggage back that they took from them when they checked-in. "where's my luggage? can I get it now?" are common questions.
- The sounds of 20 seatbelts the second the plane touches the ground
- The frustrated sound of the other 70 people trying to figure out how those 20 got their seatbelts off so fast.
- The typical Vietnamese mentality that there is a fire on the runway (I've just got to get on this plane right now!) or there is a fire in the cabin (get out of the way! I have got to get off this plane!) when neither condition exists.
- Middle-aged man rubbing Eagle-brand green oil (a kind of cure-all oil) in his ears to deal with the pressure changes associated with descent.

Regardless of the countless memories, I'm happy to see that its becoming a viable option for most Vietnamese now.

8 comments:

  1. Sir Francis Drake the PirateJune 3, 2008 at 7:01 AM

    You ought to stick it to the man and demand the literal 10,000 seats for a buck, as the exclamation clearly exclaims.

    ReplyDelete
  2. this made me smile today. :) thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very nice post. You mention it taking two days to get the equivalent distance of Northern to Southern California. I seem to vaguely remember a drive from the north to the south taking nearly two days, interrupted by a short rest in a ditch on the side of the road, and concluded with getting stuck in a snow bank. I would have even paid $2 to fly that trip.

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh but the memories of that nearly 2-day trip are as priceless as a mastercard commercial (i.e. the phantom cuss, sound of music soundtrack, nate talking with the police). All would have been avoided with a single flight.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You crack me up boss. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. ooh i wish i had blogged about this first.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes, and don't forget the old lady with the camera in the Burger Barn (even though it was after the drive). That memory still makes me laugh, and somewhere there is an Adam brother trying unsuccessfully to hold back laughter.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've been in Africa long enough now that this may have been the funniest thing I have read in weeks. Can I get my bags now... oh the memories!

    ReplyDelete