Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Tết: Through the Years

Tết is a unique time in Viet Nam and I feel like my celebrations throughout the years have slowly transformed over the years as I have, as the Vietnamese say, "eaten Tết" each year.  Here's a little synopsis of my experiences:

Tết #1 - Discovery

My first Tết was a period of learning all about the traditions regarding the 3 day extravaganza. I went to the flower market here with one class, I went to the flower market with another class, I went to the flower market with a television crew. But it was more than just a flower market, for sure. I think those 3 days and really the one week solidified in my mind that I was really happy to stay in Viet Nam for another year. Highlights include: enjoying a new cultural tradition with Thai students, chilling at Mr. Trang & Ms. Dao's house, and the Indian curry all day affair at Tri's house.

Tết #2 - Enjoyment

The second Tếtwas probably the most fun. Every day was booked at some place (or usually multiple places in one day) with numerous good friends and far too much food for the people around the table. This Tết I knew what to do, I knew some traditions, I knew some greetings...it was a settled in, nice feeling kind of Tết. Apparently I was enjoying it so much I just realized I have no pictures of the events.

Tết #3 - Responsibility

While I said Tết #2 was the most fun, this Tết was indeed fun, but also I think the most rewarding. This was the Tet that I really participated in. It was quieter than most, I came to Long Xuyên when all the students were leaving the university and so there weren't many folks around. But I connected with Tien, a dear old friend, who happened to have to be on duty at the school. Mr. Luc, the vice-rector, and who I jokingly refer to as my old student-boss (I taught him for a brief period with some other great older students) happened to stop by too. At one point we were sitting around munching on snacks when Mr. Luc came back. We had no snacks, we had no drinks, and we had a vice-rector who just arrived. I quickly asked Tien for his motorbike keys (I had a bicycle I was borrowing, but I realized that to ride said bicycle in the much hotter climate than Hue after not riding a bicycle for nearly 2 years was quite a challenge). In a dash I was at the local shop to buy more goods and back just as Mr. Luc and his entourage were beginning to sit at the table. I've commented before how the little things really make it for me here, and contributing in that way was something so small but really makes me feel at home. The next day I became a representative for An Giang University around the province stopping at all the local People's Committee buildings to greet the workers there.

After that it was off to Kiên Giang, the neighboring province, to meet....the parents. Hằng's parents that is. The time there was great and I learned a lot more about what goes on at Tết when you aren't just showing up for the party aspect in a house and how many relatives go through a house in one day. Especially with Hằng's family there were so many relatives and somewhere in the family tree an aunt on one side married an uncle on another side making these elaborate ties that were really difficult to decipher. The first day I had a talk with the parents and they gave us permission to be "quen nhau," which really doesn't translate right but basically we are allowed to be familiar now. It's nice because if anybody else comes a-courting to the folks (which has happened, still showing the very traditional and beautiful value), they get a send away and a "she's already got somebody" kind of message. That's cool. But honored to meet her family and they really made me feel like part of the fam for the time I was there. Hang's father happened to be in Huế 40 years ago and we had a fun discussion about different places and if some buildings were still here. A lot has changed since then for sure.

3 comments:

  1. Hi Tyler!

    Are you still calling her parents "bac" or "ba me"? Let me know when you get married. If it's sometime during Tet next year. I surely be there.

    David P P

    ReplyDelete
  2. They are still the old 2 bac now, maybe ba me soon.

    ReplyDelete