Thursday, July 8, 2010

Vietnam Street Name Guide

My friend Minh recently asked on twitter whether there was a good guide to all the street names in Vietnam. A few chimed in with some pages, but most are a spattering of the major streets which most people know anyway.

I thought I'd make a solution to that and turned to Google maps for a little interactivity.

Below is a work that is definitely one in progress particularly as there are some "famous" Vietnamese for whom I can find no information about.  A little more digging will be necessary.  If you know the history behind some streets not covered yet feel free to chime in below!


View VN Street Name Guide in a larger map

6 comments:

  1. Great research and development of a cool tool. This answers many questions one should have about the origin of the street names, not only in HCMC, but in most Vietnamese cities.
    A suggestion for Dông Tây -- the Saigon Times reported today that the HCMC People's Council approved renaming the new boulevard to Võ Văn Kiệt honoring the former Prime Minister who lived in Cu Chi.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thi Sách is not a woman. In fact, he was the husband of Trung Nhi, one of the 2 famous women aka Hai Ba Trung (also named for one main street in HCMC) those who fought against Chinese ruler and died due to a very dirty tactic by the Chinese.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks so much Vu! I'll make that correction asap.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! This is impressive. You know more about Vietnamese history than me..lolz I need to open my high school textbook again.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks! I can't say I know a lot, but Viet Wikipedia is filling in the gaps.

    ReplyDelete
  6. So this is what you do at work?

    ReplyDelete